Grilled Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers are a versatile vessel for so many different ingredients. A simple and quick meal that can be made in a pinch. I recently had a version of this particular recipe at a friends house, I was blown away with how flavorful the dish was without any addition of meat. I decided to pay homage to the summer season and ditch the oven by getting outside and grilling these peppers instead!
You Will Need:
- 3 cups Cooked Quinoa
- 1/4 cup Red Onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- Handful fresh Cilantro
- 1 can Black Beans- Rinsed
- 1 can Diced Tomato with Green Chile
- 4 large Bell Peppers
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon or Lime
- 1 1/2 tsp. Taco Seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- Avocado to Garnish
- Cook your Quinoa. For tips on cooking quinoa perfectly see my summer quinoa salad recipe : https://thewellnessperiodical.com/summer-quinoa-salad-featuring-chickpeas-feta/
- Rinse the bell peppers, cut evenly down the middle and clean seeds out.
- Pat the peppers dry , rub the bottoms of the peppers with olive oil, and place in pans with high edges. (I used pie pans for mine.)
- Heat your grill to 350 degrees
- In Large bowl, combine all of your ingredients together. Be sure to give it a taste, you can add more of anything if you feel it needs it!
- Stuff your peppers with the mixture. Avoid over-stuffing, you can always use leftover mixture for a side dish, breakfast or snack!
7. Now it is time to grill! Carefully place your peppers on the grates using tongs. You will want to periodically rotate during cooking. You’re looking for a nice charred look on the bottom, mine took approximately 15 minutes.
8. Once the peppers are grilled, very carefully grab them with tongs and place back in the pie dishes to transport. The peppers are going to be softer after cooking, removal from the grill is quite critical so be careful!
9. Serve and Garnish with fresh avocado or cheese!
Bell peppers are a good source of vitamin’s A, C, E & B6. Grilling them creates a perfect smoky flavor that permeates through the filling. Try switching up your summer grilling routine with this simple and vitamin packed dish.