There are so many convenience items in the grocery store that we tend to pick up when we are in a pinch. So many of us don’t read labels, and assume that these foods are just as healthy if we were to make it at home ourselves. However, many of the these items are packed with Sodium and added Sugar to preserve the food and create a longer shelf life.
Salsa is one of these convenience foods that we don’t realize the amount of added ingredients. So, why buy it when you can make it in literally under 15 minutes at home, where you can control salt, flavor, spice, texture and make it completely your own!
If you’re new to salsa making, or a veteran, check out this simple technique to making salsa with only 7 ingredients. You’ll never buy jarred salsa again!
You Will Need:
- Tomatoes (any variety will do) I used about 10 medium Roma, and 2 of a smaller variety from my garden.
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/4 red onion
- Head of Garlic (use more or less)
- Fresh Jalapeno (use more or less)
- Bunch of Cilantro (use more or less)
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt (optional)
- Food Processor
- Begin by rough chopping all of your ingredients (this will help the food processor along a bit more)
- **The key to this recipe is finely processing all of your aromatics first. Begin by processing onion, garlic and jalapeno. Once finely chopped, squeeze your lime in, and process all the cilantro until broken down.
- Put your tomatoes in and process until the desired consistency occurs.
- Taste Test! Need more garlic or onion? Want is spicier? Want to add more tomato to mellow it out? – Pour the mixture in a separate bowl and process any additional ingredients that you want and mix in until you get a taste that you like!
- Place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight to allow the flavors to develop.