Curried Lentil Stew
This stew may not have any meat, but the protein is equal if not more if it did. Lentils are protein packed, full of folate and a great source of iron. This stew is so versatile, try adding your own twist and play with ingredients.
You will Need :
- 1 cup of dry lentils
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup carrot
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Bunch of fresh cilantro
- 3-4 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. of salt
- avocado to add on top
- Rinse lentils and pick out any discolored pieces from the mix. we like to use green lentils, but any lentil will work for this recipe.
- In a large pot, add a tablespoon of coconut oil and saute’ onions, and carrots. Once onions are almost translucent add in the lentils, chickpeas, garlic, curry powder, turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Saute on low for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture puts off an aroma.
- Pour in your Vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- At this point the mixture can be covered and brought to a low simmer until lentils are fork tender.
- Once stew is cooked, add additional spices to taste. ( Some like a stronger curry flavor, so feel free to add more at the end. )
- Serve up with a sliced avocado, and a handful of chopped cilantro, maybe even a squeeze of fresh lime juice as well!
This recipe also goes really well paired with a bed of steamed rice or quinoa. Instead of using your traditional white rice or quinoa, pick out a wild rice, or tri-colored quinoa. The darker the strand of grain or seed, the more nutrient packed it will be!